Commerce Department always combines the rigors of education with fun of creativity for the learners. Various multi-dimensional activities were undertaken by the department to promote learners inquisitiveness and enhancing their practical knowledge.
- The Department started its activity cycle on 24th August 2017 by organizing intra college competition called Brand Flip for all Degree College learners. Learners re-framed the existing brand in the new face they showcased the leap from a Company –driven past to the consumer –driven future.
- An informative session under Commerce Association : WAKE UP TO THE FUTURE on the topic “ Corporate Social Responsibility” by Ms Harsha Mukherjee, Managing Director IICSR on 13th September 2017 .The speaker highlighted on present scenario of CSR on corporate world.
- A guidance lecture was organized as “Guidance Lecture for University Paper Commerce I” for F.Y.B.Com. Semester I learners by Board of Studies Faculty Dr. Pooja Ramchandani Vice Principal and Head, Department of Commerce, H. R. College of Commerce and Economics on 12th October 2017. The guest speaker shared insights and guided 174 learners with tips to score good marks in the course of Commerce I (Introduction to Business).
- Flagship Event Grand Fun and Fair – Theme – “Spring in Health” was organized on 13th January 2018,to promote entrepreneurial skills among the learners. The event was inaugurated by C.T. Chakraborty (Principal Madam ), Mr. Sachin Kambli ( Vice Principal) and Dr. S.D. Ajagekar (Vice Principal). Students from all streams (Junior & Degree) participated with great enthusiasm and put up colorful and healthious theme-based stalls. The stalls ranged from games, food & eateries, garments to accessories. Learners were encouraged to become eco – conscious entrepreneurs. The stalls were awarded on the basis of the joint review by guests, faculties and customers who visited the stalls.
- T.Y.B. Com learners were oriented to the practical aspects of export marketing. A one day visit was organized to Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust, on 19th January 2018. The 46 learners of T.Y.B.Com visited the port and Continental Warehousing Corporation (Nhava Seva) Ltd.
- An Inter Collegiate Ad Mad competition for Degree learners was organized on 08th February 2018. Its objective was to acquaint the learners on innovative concepts and promotional strategies used in marketing and The competition was attended by more than 35 participants from across colleges in Mumbai. The highlights of this competition were Logo-Design, Counter Strike and an Inspirational Ad-Play. Learners were involved in different aspects of Ad making for different products like FMCG products, white goods, services, automobiles and social awareness etc. All the teams were given a time frame to showcase their talent. Teams from Thakur college and Bhavans College were winners.
- Thakur college of science & commerce IQAC and Department of Commerce, in collaboration with University of Mumbai conducted a one \day workshop on Revision of syllabus on 3rd February, 2018.The resource person for the event was Dr. Megha Somani, MMK College. We had participation from four corporate Members – Ms. Vaishali Naik, OD and HR head of Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd, Mr. Uday Vavwala, Zonal sales head, Kangaro Company Ltd, Ms. Inderpreet kaur, Corporate trainer, Personality India, Mr. Aditya Shastri Professional IIDE, 08 alumina, 29 students (Thakur College) , 05 students from other colleges, 15 Academicians from colleges all over Mumbai. The workshop enabled a platform to all the stake holders to give their constructive suggestions about the revision of syllabus for T.Y.B.COM.
- Industrial visit was planned at Smita Industries – Vasai on 08th March 2018 for S.Y.B Com learners. The 25 learners participated with main objective to orient the learners about various production, marketing, financing and human resources related activities in the industry.
- “YOUTH” Career guidance session for degree learners was organized on 17th March 2018 on “Entrepreniual opportunities in Advertising” by a guest speaker ( Alumni of Thakur College) Mr. Raj Gor, M.D. of A.K. Branding and Advertising.
Value- added courses:
- In the academic year 2017-18 total 32 learners had enrolled for the ‘Add-On Certificate course in Retail Marketing’. The course benefited the learners with practical exposure on retailing and trends in retail (Malls).
- Department of Commerce, Thakur College of Science & Commerce in collaboration with Indian Institute of Digital Education (IIDE) initiated a skill development course on SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING to develop digital skills related to advertising on social media platforms, branding, etc. The 34 students enrolled, practical lectures with hands on training were conducted at the digital lab from 22nd January ,2018 to 27th January, 2018.
- Department of Commerce exercise unpaid ‘Add-On Certificate course SALESMARK” to develop skills in the field of sales & marketing and help learners to be employed in the most lucrative job. The 48 number of learners enrolled from B.com and self-finance courses.
The department is dedicated and committed for imbibing positive attitude among learners and will continue to strive hard to create opportunities for learners in future too.